It was so much different this time. I don't like the unknown and going into situations where I don't know what to expect. So our last trip to Ethiopia was a little scary for me. But by the end of our week there in August, I had completely fallen in love with our daughter's country and the people that live there. When we got off of the plane this time, I could help but smile. I was SO happy to be there. I couldn't wait to smell the dusty air, ride on the bumpy streets, and see all of the people that I had met on our last trip.We unloaded our things at the guest house and quickly jumped back in the van to go get Aven (with a quick stop to buy some fruit and a goat for the children at the care center on our way).
I knew the way to the care center and as we got closer, I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face. This was it. Finally. What we had been waiting for for so long. Then we pulled onto the street where the care center was and I saw the gate....I couldn't wait to see that gate! Behind it was the home where my daughter had spent practically her entire life! When we arrived, Aven was playing on the floor with her nanny Aberesh and immediately clung to her, like she was afraid we were taking her away right then and there. We sat on the floor and played with her for quite awhile and she gradually became more comfortable with us. We stayed at the care center for 3 hours, visited the other children, and took pictures for the other families. Aberesh had bought Aven the most beautiful Ethiopian dress. She clutched in to her chest when she was about to put it on her, and said "My Tutu"(Tutu is Aven's Ethiopian name) with the biggest smile on her face.
I had always known that Aberesh and Aven shared a special bond, but that confirmed it. I know for a fact the nannies themselves rarely buy anything for the children. We had made a book for Aberesh with pictures of her and Aven together and with Bible verses on the pages written in her language. She and Aven sat on the floor looking at it together. It was such a sweet moment.
Saying goodbye was so hard. Aven took it harder than I thought. She cried....actually she shrieks, she doesn't cry. So much pain and joy happening at one time. It was one of those difficult times as a parent, where you know you are doing what is best for your child but they don't understand. Aven doesnt know that she deserves SO much more than a nannies love. She deserves a family, with a mommy and daddy type of love.
Before bed, she enjoyed a bath. I let her stay in there as long as she wanted to....she even started to play a little bit. She went to bed so sweetly and made the cutest little noises while she was falling asleep. I was curious what the night would hold. She had hardly ever left the care center, much less slept anywhere else. But she slept 12 hours! She woke up one time, drank a bottle and went right back to sleep. And she woke up a happy and very different little girl! More to come on Day 2.....














0 comments:
Post a Comment